I have been wanting to do a The Defined Dish Cookbook review for a while now (I know you all really liked this one), and now that we’ve only been cooking at home, I’ve had a chance to try even more recipes to share with you! I’ve pulled several recipes from The Defined Dish blog in the past and I was really excited when she released a cookbook. I always felt like Alex had great, healthier options on her site, and everything I had ever made turned out well.
The Defined Dish Cookbook
In The Defined Dish Cookbook, the thing I love the very most is that everything is super easy and almost everything is under 30 min (everything I’ve done has been at least under 45 minutes). So that means it’s easy to make these recipes on a weeknight. There are recipes that are gluten free, dairy free, paleo and Whole 30 approved, with modifications as options for many of those diets. It makes me feel good that the recipes are very veggie-heavy and we really have felt lighter after our Defined Dish dinners.
There is even a section of the book with kid-friendly recipes. Jackson would definitely love these, but Dylan is super picky and in an “only if it goes with ketchup or is covered in cheese” mood, so he basically eats nothing. But the recipes, like grain-free chicken nuggets or pizza bites, are so perfect for kids!
I did have to do a little bit of a pantry stock up on things like arrowroot starch and coconut aminos, but once you buy those one time, they last a while and you can use them in multiple recipes!
Our Favorite Recipes
I think I’ve made at least 15 recipes from The Defined Dish cookbook so far and we truly have enjoyed all of them! These are our top 6 favorites:
- Grain-Free Chicken Parmesan // You can also make this dairy free by not using the mozzarella but unless you have an intolerance or allergy, it’s worth it to use it! We paired this with Banza chickpea pasta and it was SO good. It also made amazing leftovers!
- Turkey Taco Skillet Bake // This recipe was super tasty and quick to make. It would be great for an appetizer for a party or as an entree for dinner. We served it over cauliflower rice for dinner and then snacked on it with Siete chips for another day or so afterward!
- Kimchi Fried Cauliflower Rice // This was another super tasty, quick recipe! It had great flavors and spice, and we loved that it included steak. Even though beef meals sometimes feel heavy, this one was super light and great!
- Curried Pot Roast // The prep for this slow cooker recipe was really quick and it made our house smell warm and amazing ALL day. Plus, it was super tasty and comforting!
- Cajun Sheet Pan Shrimp “Boil” // I love a good sheet pan meal and this is one of my favorites ever! It is is a great one as we get into spring because this reminds me of warmer and happier days.
- Blueberry Filet Mignon with Cauliflower Mash // You may have seen a few influencers post this recipe and it is totally worth making! The sauce is absolutely amazing but the real winner here is the cauliflower mash. It is smooth and luxurious and SO good. We even tricked the kids into thinking it was potato! This is the perfect “celebration” meal or just make it on any random night to make it feel special.
We’ve made several more recipes and there really hasn’t been anything in the book that we haven’t liked, so I highly recommend this one!
Shop The Book + My Favorite Kitchen Essentials
Have you heard of The Defined Dish cookbook? Let me know in a comment below!