So, it’s not like you haven’t heard about the Nordstrom sale from every single blog you read, but I’m only going to be posting about it a couple of times. Today, when the sale opens to cardholders and next week when it opens to the public.
If you’re a Nordstrom cardholder then you’re lucky enough to already be taking advantage of the deals at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, or what people are calling the “sale of the year,” today. Personally, I don’t do store credit cards anymore (along with just not wanting a bunch of cards, I’m too big of a fan of my AmEx and the benefits that come with it – hello Centurion Lounge!), so I’ll be hanging out for the next week until the sale opens to the public on July 22.
In the meantime, I wanted to share how I’m planning to shop the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale and what I think are going to be the best buys this time around:
- Back to School Shopping // Scary but the first day of school is going to be here before we know it. I feel like I’m constantly buying or at least browsing for kids clothes and shoes. Jackson goes through shoes like crazy, so if I catch a good sale, I’ll buy a pair or two in his current size, and often one in a size up, and I plan on doing the same thing in this sale. I also always look for good deals on things like kids jeans and play clothes, they just grow out of them so fast or just destroy them so quickly that they’re better as sale buys!
- Shop the Basics // For me, the basics I love to get on sale are things like undergarments and jeans. With my sizes in both of those things changing like crazy, I’d really prefer to buy them on sale and this is a good opportunity to do that. Plus, jeans and bras (this one is beautiful and my favorite!) are things that you’ll always need and never go out of style, so it’s a good time to shop for them!
- The “NEED” Purchases // So few things are really “need” purchases these days, but in this instance, I consider things like coats and outerwear “needs.” We get so much use out of our coats here in Michigan (because winter lasts for what seems like an eternity) that I’m happy to spend the money on a new one each year. Same goes for boots. I’ll start wearing them in September (like these, which aren’t warm but are cute and great for fall rain days!) and won’t take them off until late March (probably these), so I “need” them. Obviously.
- For Him // My husband HATES shopping, but he hates it a little bit less if what he needs on sale. And when I’m shopping for him at a sale like this, it’s again all about the basics. If we can find good deals on work shirts, ties or even shoes, that’s what we’re looking for. For example, he loves Cole Haan shoes for work and Nordstrom always has some good deals on those. Any men’s activewear is also something we love to get on sale because it’s always something he’ll use and wear out!
- Beauty // There are actually a lot of great beauty deals in this sale, so I always take a peek at my favorite brands for things I’d need to restock. Like Clarisonic brush heads, eye makeup remover (this is one of the best!) or an everyday eye palette. It’s also a good time to try something new like a bright lip color, this rejuvenating pillowcase or a fragrance set (this Jo Malone set is my favorite and I’d love this Tory Burch set as one for home and one for travel).
So, as you can kind of tell, I don’t really use a sale like this for splurges, except possibly when it comes to outerwear and denim. I’d prefer to get the things I actually know I need on sale and save those up for fall! Maybe it’s not the most exciting way to shop the sale, but it’s more about functional purchases and getting a good deal on what you really need!
Now, if you’re going to splurge, I’d still stick to the basics like the jeans you’ll wear all fall/winter long, a great blazer, a “wear everyday” sweater coat, the perfect fall booties or a great fall bag.
So, tell me, are you planning to shop the sale? What are you shopping for?