I haven’t done one of these in awhile, but as I’ve mentioned in recipe posts, I’m not a “fruit person” and this is especially true when it comes to cooked fruit. However, this recipe (which is from my mother-in-law), is one that I always am ready to dig into, especially now that apples are in season – I make this more often in the fall and winter months.
There is a lot of crisp topping, which when mixed with the apples and a good scoop of ice cream, is just perfect. I always have the ingredients for this one in my pantry so I can make it in a pinch if we have people over or need to take something to a friend’s house. It is SUPER easy and so good!
Ingredients (can also be doubled to make a larger batch):
- 1 can of apple pie filling (you could also peel and cut up a couple of apples, but the canned comes with seasoning and it just makes this even faster and easier)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a baking dish
- Combine melted butter, flour, oatmeal and brown sugar in a bowl
- Spread apples in baking dish, top with flour/oatmeal/butter/brown sugar mix
- Bake 45 min – 1 hour; I check it at 45 min and usually take it out, since I like a less crispy topping
- Serve warm with ice cream